Top safety tips for new homeowners in Joliet
If you purchased your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and yours. You’re probably pondering how you might customize your property with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you consider home security as well. Keeping your loved ones shielded from harm should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll show you how with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Joliet.
Perform a safety review of your new Joliet property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, find out what your new home has in place. To start, make certain you have functioning smoke alarms. Try every one and switch out batteries if necessary. Do you have CO detectors? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a smart time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go through each room and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Joliet home
Once you’ve completed your initial investigation of safety alarms and locks, you can think about elevating your property’s defense. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Joliet.
- Invest in a new home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in Joliet is a home security system. The latest in wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your residence even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may view up-to-the-second video feeds, operate locking systems, and even talk to guests on your front porch right from your cell phone. You may personalize your defense with incredible security features like video cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lights. Exterior lights with motion detection are an effective way to turn away potential intruders. You may even integrate them with surveillance cameras. The activating of a motion sensor can instruct your outdoor camera to start recording.
- Keep your premises nicely groomed. Do you have a clear view of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown bushes and trees obstructing the view? Remove potential places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it also.
- Meet folks in your area. Speaking of your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people around you, there’s a greater chance they’ll inform you if they see suspicious behavior. You might also join your neighborhood’s social media presence if one is created.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it seem like you’re home by illuminating smart lighting at scheduled times. This is a great tool when you’re not there.